Monday, April 2, 2012

Adventures with Shannon Christopher Photography!

Howdy!!
I am up late and need to go to bed but feel so bad for letting my blog fall behind. A lot of things have been going on and its only been ONE WEEK since I been back at school and life got crazy already!

Great news is the start of Spring Quarter got me employed! I am an intern for Shannon Christopher, HE is a wedding photographer and I interviewed with him my first day back in Savannah (last Monday). Meeting with him was refreshing and I enjoyed it alot! Just know I smiled from ear to ear when I heard him say he studied photojournalism! Like what a blessing in my life, a wedding photographer and someone with personal in site on documentary photography (which is what I wanna get into).

What I learned from Shannon that day of the interview goes hand in hand with what he told me about himself. When he meets with his clients its like an interview where they both get to know each other and he learns about the couple and what they hope to get out of his services. He is very involved in the couple and I think that's what makes his work so exceptional. There is a level of comfort and flexibility when you get to know a person and care for them, not just collect the check and snap some images. Shannon truly desires to make their day the best he can with all his heart behind it. He offers an A+ experience I would want and any future bride would desire in their photographer.

The first wedding I went on with him was last Saturday, and that wedding brought me to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. My first time in SC!! lol I was excited and a trooper heeding his warnings and insight and taking everything he taught me about his lighting equipment. The wedding was at a resort and it was outdoors and boy was there a high chance of rain! And we surely did run into rain. BUT by the time of the ceremony the sun was shining and we got blue sky :D Shannon acted quickly changing scenes and taking shots before it would pour and keeping the client and her bridal party engaged at all times. The client was in love with trees so a lot of the wedding decorations were very cabin like and incorporated nature and a green neutral color palette. We even photographed her dress in a tree and I bet those images were beautiful! Shannon made use of a lot of natural light and I guess since he's been doing this so long he can switch around buttons really fast. I need to shoot more to get that fast.

The couple decided to do something called "First Look". The saw each other before the ceremony and took pictures together after they were all dressed. Their outfits were a surprise to each other and Shannon caught their every reaction to each other. IDK how I feel about this nontraditional idea of seeing the groom before the ceremony but I do agree and see the advantages of it. The moment of seeing each other for the first time on their special day is private and intimate. Also there is more time to take pictures since they were not rushed for anything. In more traditional weddings the couple would only have the cocktail hour to be gone and then they would have to hurry back for the reception. This couple at this wedding was beautiful and I'm glad I got to be there for them on their special day.

Lastly, I learned exceptional lighting ideas and mechanisms I could easily put together and have more control of my lighting. My favorite was the flash he had me hold up above our subjects as they danced and he took the pictures. I felt kool all rigged up with the battery pack on my belt look and flash in hand with minisoftbox lol. As an intern I did a lot and loved it! I guess people have bad internship experiences and bitch about how mean their boss is and how boring it is.....NOT ME!
I had fun holding onto lens, and holding the reflector, and umbrella when it was raining, and Shannon even let me use my creative ideas when setting up some scenes. He is very open minded and that made me comfortable to share my thoughts as he was shooting if I saw another angle he may not have noticed. Shannon is easy to talk to and a true gentleman so my experience with him rocks! I can't wait for the next event. Its this Friday and we are doing an engagement shoot. I love working with him soooo much I'm gonna stay in Savannah a week or two after I finish this quarter just so I can help him out with more weddings before I go back to Florida for the summer.

Saje Creations and Stephanie Brown photography will never be the same after these fun educational experiences with Shannon Christopher Wedding Photography!!

Check him out! He TRAVELS! ;) 
http://shannonchristopher.com/
He's a photographer you can TRUST for your special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment