Tuesday, March 20, 2012

HAIR PHOTOGRAPHY

Two weekends ago I had my first Hair Photo shoot with The Nappy Hutt, the same salon that I recently had my hair done at. The shoot began at 12 noon and I didn't get home till after midnight! It was a challenge because the models were beautiful and vibrant with their hair and make-up being professionally done. I couldn't help myself taking beauty shots and personality portraits but I was reminded to focus on the hair!

In between models I critically looked through hair magazines with my assistant Torkwase, together we found things we liked and did not like at all. Some images were badly photoshopped from their backgrounds, some were blurry and some graphic designs were poorly executed. In contrast we found that the better quality magazines had better images. And the best photographs not only showed off the hairstyle but portrayed the models love and interaction with their hair. These conclusions guided my compositions throughout the shoot.

Early evening my assistant left me cause she had work else where, but I did fine on my own recruiting volunteers to hold the giant reflector we borrowed from SCAD's photo department. We had a white seamless backdrop (THANKS TO MY LOVELY FRIEND DANIEL ;) and we had two light but only needed one with the help of the reflector. Because the room was kinda small bouncing the light off the ceiling helped diffuse the light better. I shot with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and had a lot of models who had outfit changes and two-part hairstyles, 2 make-up artists, and lots of hair stylist. Right before my assistant left she photographed me since I was a hairstyle that needed to be shot. My make up was done by Shamari-Rene'. She uses MAC of course my favorite make-up and does a wonderful job. She is super kind and very creative, she brings out this celebrity aspect out of you I LOVE IT I was totally transformed by her work. Check out  her site to book her or see more of her faces she has transformed! Sha-Rene' Artistry



The Nappy Hutt is in the planning process of publishing a magazine that promotes Natural Hair and Natural Hair Care called, ITZ ALL YRZ! They got the right information and right people working on this magazine and it should be great! And I know my images will help bring alive the hairstyles and depict the articles they plan to include! The most important image is the FRONT COVER! Remember what I said a moment ago about the hair magazines we saw? The quality of the front cover image is what will encourage people to pick it up and start flipping through it. I wonder what the cover will look like....

The thing I love best about this salon is that getting your hair done is like an educational experience. They do seminars like Taliah Waajid that educates individuals about their hair, the benefits of staying chemical free and how to take care of your kinky kurls! A lot of people refrain from going natural because they can't bother with all the work behind it. I am a victim to say that I even thought I had to have my hair straight to get curls or have a fancy doo but no more! Spending so much time at this Salon and with their stylist have me ready to sell my flat iron.

FLAT IRONS/BLOW-OUTS/HOT COMBS OR THE LIKE!  WILL KILL YOUR NATURAL HAIR CURL PATTERN.

If you straighten your hair often STOP! If you ever want to see your hair curl again STOP!
I plan on sticking with The Nappy Hutt and the hair products by Taliah Waajid and other natural products to see what happens with my hair by the end of the year. My hair is moisturized but not obnoxiously oily and its bouncy and curly and I Love my Hair and i wanna treat it right! And so shuld you!
I you live in Savannah Visit the NAPPY HUTT and after one appointment you will be convinced! Go natural step by step or cut it all off! lol. Sounds drastic but change is good.

Okay Okay. Well the point of this post was to advertise a sneak peek at the images from the shoot! Enjoy! Check out more on my Facebook Page! LIKE Saje Creations LLC.






No comments:

Post a Comment