Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Family Documentary: Gardner's


What an experience! Each family taught me so much and took such great care of me!

Speaking of experiences, I had the FULL Gardner experience! Stephen and Sabrina Gardner are professors at SCAD with three kids: Isabelle (12), Peter (10), Max (8), and oh yeah! Ziti their dog. This lovely family agreed to be documented for my photography project analyzing a single mother home and a married family home.

 As my married couple, they were an excellent representation. Their beautiful historic two-story home (covered in personal art work of course); reflected structure, discipline, cooperation, team-work, respect, and lots of laughter. Their kids as independent as they are at their age have plenty of time with each parent doing homework, reading, eating, and going to and from school or practice. In the time spent with the Gardners’ lots of things brought pleasant smiles to my heart. Their hospitality was exceptional and kept guard of Ziti spazzing out around me, lol; she wasn’t that bad at all! But in all seriousness, like the McGregor family, this family portrayed values I’d want in my own home. Mr. Gardner’s mother teased saying after this experience I won’t want to have kids or something to that effect. But as I told her it’s the complete opposite. The Gardner’s are like a Disney Channel family. The eldest responsible daughter taking after mom and dad’s best attributes. The kind middle child with his obedience and boyish quirks, and of course the youngest rambunctious, gotta tell him twice, silly and mischievous boy. They have a timely dinner around 5pm when mom is back from her night class. Kids, usually done with homework by now, get to watch one show, than have dessert, maybe another show or more homework. Then they go their separate ways and shower, meet mom in the play room to hear her read another chapter of Harry Potter, run off to their individual rooms and await mom’s good night kisses and hugs and dad’s riled up tickles, and after that they all have their own book they read in with their night lights until their eyes begin to close. Afterwards, mom and dad get to enjoy dessert, peace and quiet and the comfort of themselves, their pre-recorded shows, and Ziti of course!

I love the intelligence of their kids and the value of reading in their lives. It’s so important to read and love to do it for yourself! Books will be their teacher and their guide and their vacation from themselves for years to come. Photographing them was fun, even though Max declared well in advance that bathroom pictures were not allowed! That didn’t stop me from camping outside of the door though, lol. The routine in their home reminds me a lot of my eldest sister Simone and my family as well when I was a child. When mom is home, Dad is at work, and when dad is home, mom is at work. I thought it was also lovely that on occasion Mrs.Gardner will meet Mr.Gardner for lunch in between his classes. How sweet! I know. I felt like a stalker sitting in the backseat as the two discuss their days so far, lol.

There is so much more I could share! But I’ve said a lot already! Lol. I’m just very grateful for the talent and creative ideas GOD has blessed me with and amazing opportunity to temporarily live with the Gardner Family. I know that these images I present in my class and to the family will be a great representation of their home and love within their family.

Gardner Family thanks a million! I was most nervous about this stay, since you guys were strangers to me, but it was a great end to a challenging assignment! I hope to keep in touch, see my work on your screensavers and walls…lol Just kidding! But anyway, can’t wait to see you guys again, maybe on a Monday night so I can enjoy Breakfast for dinner! Lol……I’m serious J

No comments:

Post a Comment