Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Color Film Photography

This quarter (SPRING) I am taking PHOT206: Color Technique
This class is centered on color film and color photography and it's importance in the photographic world. My first assignment is to shoot four rolls of film, minimum, and show saturated color, desaturated color, monochromatic, and complementary colors. I thought it would be best to organize each role for each requirement. I started on this assignment yesterday and used my muse, my permanent model Alexis.
I shot my first roll of Color Negative Film with Alexis. I used a Canon 35mm from SCAD and a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 color film. She put together a crazy sexy pastel color fit and I put her in some desaturated run down locations. The shoot was only like an hour and a half plus all the walking we did downtown but I was very very proud of myself! I used all natural lighting and love how everything came out. Like an idiot I forgot the steps of reeling my film in and opened the back before the film was back in its canister! I know I know talk about big no no. But luckily only one image was over exposed by the sun and two images got pretty cool light leaks.
My Professor Scott Dietrich told us to over expose our color film and made us well aware that color film is much more light tolerant than black and white film. The more information means richer color in the negatives. So to keep me from bracketing I chose to lower my ISO by half of the film's speed. So for this whole roll of Alexis I shot it with an ISO of 50.

Here are some film images. They are small because I scanned them in as a contact sheet so low resolution. But great images!!






Now here are some of the digital images that I took at the same time. I don't have a light meter and the one inside the camera refused to give me a green light. So I metered with my digital camera and than applied those settings to the film camera. Anyways, here are the digital ones.





Everything seen was unedited!! FYI :)

No comments:

Post a Comment