Thursday, June 21, 2012

COILS! COILS! Natural Hair Coils

So coils are also known as comb curls. they utilize a curling comb that has small close in distance teeth and spirals your hair. Looking at coils on short hair I knew I wanted it but I was going to wait until the end of my time in Savannah so the style would last. The coils were cute but different at first. Alot of my hairstyles need to grow on me lol. I need a moment to take it in, and come up with something creative to wear with it or do to it later. My coils were like that. My hair dresser, Ms. Shawn was ready to kill me when I said I wanted coils because my hair is so long and so thick they would take her ages. But she loves me and she loves hair and she did them!! They were shorter then I expected but the tighter the coil the more is springs up on you.





Having coils has gotten me to experience life with short hair. For ONCE in my life I was NOT trying to show off the length of my hair but its texture! These springy coils were cute! And they only got cuter when I had my other hair stylist, Jabril UNcoil my hair. He cleaned my scalp with the Moisture Clenz and began breaking apart my coils making them smaller and finer and they began to get fuller. My greatest fear though was locking up! When my coils were intact everyone thought I was preparing to grow dreds and many ppl asked me how long I had been growing my dreads for and I'm like I DIDN'T start! Some even thought they were twist but when they got up close they could see that wasn't the case. They were juicy tight spirals and then juice tight but looser spirals!

Since then I returned to Florida with my coils. Perry loves it! Thinks its funky, loves the texture and how I look with it. My dad thought it was fun, my sis liked it alot! But my mom was not impressed. She thought it looked "nappy" -___-  and resembled unkept dreads. Ignoring her comments I continued styling my hair and having fun with it. Everyday people stopped me to say how pretty my hair is and how muuch they like it. I tried the Taaliah Waajid Style n shine white cream for kids hair that is great on edges and elongates ur curl pattern. BOY I tell you it worked! I thought my hair had to be straight to get flat edges all day but I was wrong! Uhh its so sexy and magical I love that stuff.





Today makes 2 days shy of me being home for 2 weeks straight. Saturday I used Moisture Clenz to clean my scalp and I went through all of my coils separating them. And during the week I used it about 3 times. Now that its the end of the week its like I never separated them but just made them smaller. That's the only hard thing with my hair being so thick every strand locks up soo quickly! I had a lot of product build up only on the spots where I went a little too happy go lucky with the style and shine cream. The build up looked like dandruff so I knew it was time to wash. My scalp was clean still from the cleansing I did last Saturday but I decided my hair would be washed today.

So DE-coiling the UNcoiled hair...
Scary, tangled, and very elasticity. The bad thing is that since my hair locks so quick I had a bunch of knots and lots of little pieces of hair falling out as I combed through the coils with my rubbery big teeth rake comb. With one small section left, I stopped to take a picture and when I rinsed my hair I noticed the water got dense in my palm. And then I put my wet hand in my hair to see if it would help and boy I tell ya it just got soft and silky smooth. The comb was gliding and no unnecessary hair was falling out. Taaliah's hair products are water based so the dry product in my hair from weeks ago when wet with water acted as if I just put fresh product in there! I redid all of my combed out parts and bantu knotted them up and out the way.


Totally beat from wrestling with my hair I am going to wash it tomorrow. Or really later today to be technical. I hope you enjoy all the images that accompany the story of my coils experience and hair styles. To follow are tips, tricks, and explanations of ALL of Taliah Waajid's Black Earth Products Line documented from the Nappy Hutt staff who know her products like the back out their hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment