Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New Photographic Study

Winter Quarter here at SCAD is ending very soon and I have alot to look forward to. It seems like a long time but its going to go by fast with all the assignments coming my way.

Drawing 2 - Our final assignment is an oil painting! I was excited but not I'm a little annoyed. Oil is not my medium. Its not easy to clean and smells awful. I got started on it today and I'm looking forward to being done with it but it'll be a while. Its due next week wed :/

Art History 1 - God pulled me through again! The test that I studied for (or tried to study for) the weekend I was out of town to take on the day I came back was actually a success! I got a B and I was thinking I got a D! Not to mention the written portion I was most nervous about and least prepared for I managed to get a perfect score on 15 out of 15! talk about a Blessing! Now I have only final exam to look forward to now that my paper was turned in last class and she is loving it.

Photo Foundations 2 - This has the best information :) Leading to our final we had artist presentations and I did mine on my favorite man Robert Mapplethorpe who I now often confuse with his brother Edward Mapplethorpe. Since I learned of his little brother's existence I've grown to appreciate his work as well even though its not really my personal fortay his abstract images he creates in the darkroom are very appealing.
At any rate this weekend I begin my new photographic study! At first I was going to continue my new found love of portraiture but I felt that for a final project that wasn't complex and challenging enough. So..... I'm mixing my dream of documentary photography along with portraiture and spending one day and one night with a Single mother Family and a married couple. I originally wanted to spend 2 days but time is not on my side with this assignment. With my images I intend to portray the similarities and differences between the families daily routines and their relationships with their children. Today I finalized the families and the dates and I start this weekend. It's exciting because I feel so offical and professional. In my career I would love to do an assignment like this but spend months with the family which would make my images stronger due to the relationship I'll make with the family. That is crucial to make clear statements in my images, the level of comfort will spill through their eyes in every image. I am a little concerned as to how I'm going to present these because it will cost me some money wheter I print it myself or have it printed. God will provide someway some how so I'll just have to pray on it.

This new study will reflect on my portraiture I mentioned before and my polyptch assignment I did documenting college student routines. I think I will post all my projects I did for my photo class along with the artist statements. The work will be better showcased that way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment