Monday, January 30, 2012

International Exploration: The beginning

  
  It started as a fashion photography shoot but it turned into much more. Breaking all the rules of high fashion, I aimed to capture these models in their native dress but in radical poses.
      I used my Nikon D5000 on 3 separate occasions. I had two make-up artists on set. Mosi Benitez for the Chinese shoot and Melissa Bell for the Caribbean shoot. The French inspired model did her own make-up.
       As stated before, I wanted to explore the possibility of shooting fashion. But after criticism from  a professor I learned I was breaking all the rules; yet I loved it. As I learn more about fashion photography perhaps I will better my skills but as for this shoot I just captured what felt right to me. I inspired my models to get awkward and stay away from cliche poses and looks. I looked for the scenes to compliment and or contrast their juxtapositions.
       I intend to continue this shoot on my own time exploring Africa and more parts of Europe and Asia. I decided not to enter the fashion photography contest with these images, with belief these were too radical for what they desired.





Below is  a link to my Facebook page where you can like and explore more of these images and what I have to offer.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saje-Creations-Photography/189060964466716

www.sajecreations.com

What I Learned:
Is that anywhere can be turned into a beautiful location. Even if you have to capture something you didn't want in the frame you can always cut it away in post-production. Something I didn't say is that even with my original motives I couldn't help but tell a story with every image I took. I had an emotion, or image, or storyline in my mind that I could see this image accompaning. As I continue to look into more types of photography that interest me I find my heart coming back to documentary...or are these images more editorial....?
I really don't know. What I do want to know is where do my nudes fit in with my work. My extensive body images that I plan to continue and progress in. The professor that critiqued these images said he would help give my nudes a genre...we'll see what he has to say and as for my opinion...you know I will share ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment