Monday, June 23, 2014

Hey There Deliah


Hey There Delilah by the Plain White T's is a classic tune in my Zune mp3 player. When the song first came out my over sensitive ass saw it as more than a cute alternative hit. I thought it was the most romantic message via song yet! I fantasied about some mysterious man singing this to me as I traveled the world and accomplished all my dreams. This song in combination with movies like The Notebook convinced me that a man could love me much more than the distance I wanted to travel. It taught me that if he really loves me he'd find a way to not only make it work, but he'd find me so valuable that waiting to be with me would be an honor, a royal honor.

A silly ole daydream is what this became. College taught me otherwise and kinda made me cold. But even after seeing so much ugly I could never shake my love for love and my hopeless romantic aspirations. God loves me so much, and that alone compels me to share his love by loving someone else. 

Hey There Delilah Mr. Fleming

I'll save the sap back story because there isn't one. Just know that my silly day dreams as a girl came to fruition as the woman I am today. I didn't find someone. And they didn't find me. But that man I dreamt of may have just appeared in my life. With no intention of doing so I fell in love with a man named Phillip Fleming. When I think about it... and shit when I write about it I shake my head in disbelief. How it happened in such a short time, and how genuine and true it feels does not surprise me because I get it.
When you go through the most and when you spend that necessary alone time to learn who you are as an individual people come and go through your life cause you have a solid grip of who you are and what you want in a partner. 
Having no time for games and lies I was cold and kinda brutal. I had been single for over a year and got so complacent I was ready to live the next 5-10 years alone if need be. Keeping it 110% I went on a few dates with Phillip when I had time and talked for about a month before I decided him worthy of being my boyfriend. I wouldn't even let the poor guy kiss me during that entire time! And he didn't mind. Just being in my presence was sufficient for him. I never met someone who genuinely loved my every flaw and me for who I am. He recognized my worth and treated me as such never stopping to impress me. He made me happy by just being himself. But I think it's his dedication and determination to be apart of my life that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. He effortlessly completes me and  I'm enjoying this blessing that God has presented to me.







Even though our relationship is still very young I just have a feeling of comfort and confidence in it. 
I'm not worried about whats happening next because I learned my lesson the last time trying to take control. I've left this relationship in God's hands and I trust it in His Mighty care :) 

                                         
In the wonderful words of India Arie,
  "If he ever left me, I wouldn't even be sad, 
no Cause there's a blessing in every lesson 
And I'm glad that I knew him at all"






Even though I was single for over a year, I encountered a lot of men who may have been potentials. All of them walked away slowly or ran knowing that (1) I was not about games and (2) I wanted to travel the world as soon as God was ready for me to. Phillip didn't walk away. He thought my aspirations were cool.
I kinda told him like a warning label before we even made us official. But when I told him my plans to be gone for long periods of times in some random location he simply said, "I'll find you where ever you are." Even though its not easy and pretty lonely he geared up and enlisted himself into a life of an internet relationship. I see his wonderful smile on a daily via Skype or Google Hangout or SnapChat. I hear him through my music, through my recipes he's inhaled, and I smell his sweater on the harder days.
Our relationship is an effortless blessing that supports my every move.



Till next time love...

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment