Monday, April 15, 2013

Brand Him Sigma

The other night I witness something I've only heard about!

I was out with my friend Moncello and his buddies and one thing after another I found myself witnessing his buddy Phil get branded.


I was in the company of Sigma's and Zeta's and they reminisced on the old days of them having a good time. One Zeta reflected on how in this very room she got branded up against the refrigerator. Phil who is in all the pictures described his first branding on his arm. Unlike most people his branding didn't swell and raise so it healed looking more like a tattoo.
Moncello showed us the tools he used to brand people who wanted one and Phil was ready for another one, his second branding and his last (according to him). I'm not gonna lie I was excited to witness this.

The Zeta started slapping the area on Phil's chest where he wanted the branding. When her hand hurt he continued tenderizing the muscle himself. Meanwhile cello turned on the stove and placed the "sigma" shaped piece of metal face down on the burner. Once it was hot enough Phil firmly braced his back against the refrigerator and got real serious and tense. Moncello reminded him that he can't do it if he doesn't relax. Few deep breaths and Moncello came at him with the hot piece of metal. Instantly  Phil's eyes popped open he breathed heavy and the brand was complete. The room smelt like bacon burning, Moncello went over it with a rag and rubbed away burnt skin I believe. Then Phil went straight for his shot of patron. And its crazy how the skin reacts, it was a little toasty looking then it got whiter and whiter and then you could clear see the layers of skin exposed.

Examining his skin I had something like an epiphany! I could see the edges red and the blood at a stand still and I asked why does it not bleed? Moncello answered with a sly look on his face, "cause it's deeper than the blood" Blood is only present on that initial under layer of skin, but under that it's just our other layers of skin. The symbolism was killing me! I loved it. I'm not a fan of people being branded, and I'm not a fan of how it looks on some people but man do you have to respect it. This is why I appreciate and have respect for fraternities and sororities especially those that are in the NPHC. It's not cause they are predominantly African American but the history and symbolism runs deep, deeper than blood and these organizations hold traditions and respect for where they came from. DEDICATED lifetime members of these organizations have a love for their org like no other. So whether I second the branding or not, I surely do respect it and I will never forget that night I got to witness it.

1st brand on the left, 2nd brand on the right (newest one)


1 comment: