Saturday, October 13, 2012

My Roarin' Twenties


Just last week I turned 20 and my world has already began to change. I have a feeling in my heart that this age is going to be my year of transition. My oldest sister and I have already deemed this year: My Roarin' Twenties.

I began my birthday(oct. 5th) on the road with my super assistant (Perry) to Atlanta, GA for my first contracted gig with Taliah Waajid's World Natural Hair, Health & Beauty Show. Based off the pictures I took at their Spring Show earlier this year, her people contacted my people (I'm my people lol) and asked if I would work their Fall show! So this gig was a big deal, contracts, deadlines, travel plans, BIG DEAL! And a footstep in the right direction and hopefully a lastly relationship with Taliah Waajid and her shows.



Amongst that shin-dig, I scoped out a new magazine coming out of New Jersey titled JOURNEY. Journey is going to be the FIRST and ONLY published Natural Hair Magazine. I've been in contact with the publishers and I'm hoping to make a lastly relationship with them as well. I rather not drop any more info on that because my excitement and fear like to walk hand in hand sometimes lol. But lets just say I'm contributing to the beauty and education of natural hair to women all over the world with my photography and words of wisdom.
More Info on the magazine can be found on their site HERE

My 20th year is also symbolic of a transitional year for me because I moved into an apartment, began a new decade of my life, began my 2nd year at SCAD(half way to graduation :), and I'm working on expanding my portfolios and polishing them up!


The apartment life is wonderful! I love my roommate and I love cooking. I have lots more cooking things I haven't posted in a while.

2nd Year at SCAD = Sophomore! woot woot lol. I'm taking Intro to Printmaking which is forming a new interest in my heart. I always said if I could afford to minor I would minor in printmaking. Which is why I took this class as my directive elective. I've carved into wood, scratched into copper, and so much more is to come with that! I'm also taking CMPA so I'm learning Illustrator, more photoshop, and next week we are doing InDesign. These computer applications I learn will be important on my resume so companies know I am proficient in a range of adobe applications. And lastly I am taking my Studio Lighting Course which has got me reading about light and loving it. lol. Just this morning I took out my little photo book on lighting - Light, Science, and Magic and read two chapters back to back. Reading it just gets me excited as to what I can learn today to apply tomorrow.

CAREER!!! Its getting a little scary as I approach the big graduation date I gotta look at my work, where I want it to go, and the type of professional audience I want to reach. Not to mention I want to enjoy what I'm doing of course! I still have my body stuff, but I'm beginning some personal projects on natural hair which is going along with my portraiture and lighting i suppose. And whenever I find a willing model it will go hand in hand with my nude body of work. Today I'm actually suppose to start what I call are portfolio planning books where I will put my plans and ideas and contacts in writing in something tangible I can build upon.

Speaking of careers I've separated business from pleasure if you will lol. I now have TWO facebook LIKE pages: one for my personal work - Stephanie Brown Photography and one for my event photography which is Saje Creations (link is in the tool bar of this blog.) I am still working on the website for my personal work and it should be up by Spring for the big career fair.

The ROARIN' TWENTIES!!! Its only beginning but I'm excited to grow as a photographer and adult and business professional. I've been ready all my life and now its time for me to start applying all that I've prepared .


No comments:

Post a Comment