Thursday, May 16, 2013

I hate text messaging...

[Sometimes I can really hate text messaging.]
Texting is useful in sensitive situations, when you want or need to say something really quick
Its nonverbal communication yet we find ways to determine tonality in the voice and emotion through an individuals diction.
Other than texting in class or at work what other good has it done communication?
Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for text messaging, its so useful, and I do it everyday.
But I do it because most people just don't know what to do when they pick up a phone or they don't even have the time of day to do so. And God forbid they write a letter or actually communicate in person.

[Sometimes I can really hate text messaging]
I feel that texting should supplement your conversation.
Now a days when you meet someone, exchange numbers, the expectations is to text them.
The communication has begun, you can text the individual every once in a while to everyday. You can send them a message when they are on your mind and you wish to hear from them.
But at what point do you decide that texting is not enough?
I think you have to desire to communicate with that person in another way, you've got to want to hear what they think, believe, and do. And if time and distance is a problem then you FaceTime? Skype? if you can't call and talk.
People make time for who and what they WANT to make time for...

What will do that for you? Who knows...but I miss the sensitivty in communication.
As the person discovers a desire to communicate more methods open up because they'll simply take what they can get even if it's hearing you breathe as you sleep.
If you've been where I've been you know what I mean...Don't let people look at you like you're crazy or that sounds dumb because they haven't had communication like that.
Verbal or non-verbal, talking on the phone or texting.
I've had the extended text messages that max out even a smartphones limit.
I've had the storybook facebook messages.
I've had the late night bedtime calls, where you wake up and wonder who fell asleep on who.
I've had the skype sessions and phone calls that were there just to keep ya company... just so the other person could see ur face
I've been there.

That's why I say [SOMETIMES] I hate text messaging. [SOMETIMES] I hate cyber communication
because people don't use it like they can and really milk it for it's resources.
A letter, hand written, personal, and longed for is full of emotion
It can be a blank slate crafted to share a part of your mind, your heart, your spirit.
It can be unexpected but desired
A letter can manipulate words to create sentences that make you smile and cry
A letter can bring you back to the days of courting and true love.
Words on  a page...don't underestimate.
Its a romantic confession from the sender that says your worth it
Worth my time, paper, pen and ink.
Worth a moment to formulate words you may not speak.

________________________________________________________

We as individuals have the capability to do what a letter says and more with cyber communications.
That text that you wake up to that makes you smile.
That storybook facebook message that made you cry
That surprise visit at your door....unexpected but desired
The words in that letter you never wrote are expressed through daily messaging
How you answer a text message explains how you chose to formulate your thoughts
It tattles how valuable you find the communication.
[Sometimes, not all the time I can hate text messaging]
Waiting for a response is a lot easier if you knew the context of the person but you can't know that if that information was not shared initially.
Lack of communication can be frustrating.
A desire to communicate has grand potential.
Empty apologizes and no change in communication is a near downfall.

#Love has made me weary

No comments:

Post a Comment