Saturday, August 2, 2014

Somewhere in the South of France

Yesterday I went canoeing for the first time.
The experience was beyond me!
I was giddy!
Enthusiastic!
I was channeling Pocahontas paddling through the ice cold river.
I felt adventurous and daring!
Gutsy and ready for anything.

The scenery was beautiful. Lush Green rapids. The river bending and trailing off in the distance not knowing what to expect next. Ducking under low branches and observing fallen trees who survived by making a new home for other organisms in the water while interrupting the current only for a moment.




















When I returned to our little village of a home I had dinner, stuffed myself  and laid in bed to smooth sounds of my neighbor strumming her acoustic guitar. I soon fell asleep waiting for the WiFi signal to return. When I awoke It was storming. And I've been up ever since.
Listening to the sounds of the night and fearing the sighting of a scorpion or spider as I do every night.

We sleep with the windows open to allow fresh cool air to keep us cool at night.
With this harsh storm I felt exposed. Even in the comfort of my bed I could see the wind blow the curtain and the crackling lightening illuminate my window frame. The pitter patter of the rain on the cobble stone outside became monotonous and instead of soothing my to sleep kept me awake.


Just moments ago the sky has fallen asleep and everything has gone still again.

I'm sitting in a twin size bed. In a cozy apartment.
In a restored medieval village.
In Lacoste
In Provence
In the South of France
In Europe
Just hours from the Mediterranean Sea
Across the Atlantic Ocean
A long long ways from my sunny south Florida Home.

My name is Stephanie.
And my nights here have been much more than blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment