Saturday, May 19, 2012

SCAD Fashion Show..."Nice While It Lasted"

As many of you may remember from previous posts I tried out back in Winter Quarter to be a SCAD model for their fashion show and I made it!

Starting Spring Quarter I started going to fittings every Wednesday and sometimes Saturdays and Sundays. Critiques were every other Friday for most of the day. Designers worked on 2 pieces(looks) at a time and then we would have a critique. The narrowing down of designers continued after the 6 look critique where professors looked at the student designers work. Only 4 out of 6 looks would be chosen and those four would be presented in the Jury show. All but two of my 9 designers made it to the jury show. I was sad to learn that my favorite look didn't even make it to the Jury show. With designers being cut also meant models were going to be cut. It was understood from the beginning of our commitment that if your designer didn't make it you didn't make it.
 JURY SHOW was the first time I got to see Ms. J Alexander since I walked for him at try outs. The day before the jury show my new great friend Jessica who is  a super sexy model gave me some walking tips and lessons and it paid off in the jury show. The jury show was all day and had 89 designers from Savannah and Atlanta. I had so much fun doing it! I started off nervous as shit because 2 girls were cut during rehearsal alone. I wanted to please Ms. J and do everything he instructed to the "T". After a while I felt much more comfortable in his presence. When the show began it was a private audience. Only the designers in the balcony and the professors and other professionals were on the main floor in front of the runway. There were student volunteers in the background as dressers to help us get in and out of the different looks. Some got us mixed up and we had got in the wrong outfit and had to hurry and get into the right one before having to get back on the runway. There was one point in particular during the entire show that will never leave my mind...
I just got off stage and began getting into a look with lots of buttons and different shoes. As I got into my shoes one person was buttoning me up, two other people lint rolling me and another person letting me lean on them for support. I was hands free and being tended to like I see models on TV and it was just so exciting and surreal to me. Half naked ladies all around me and clothes going every which way I knew from that moment on I had to be in this show! After the jury show Ms. J Alexander congratulated us and pointed out a few bad things about 2 models who he felt had disconnected eyes and body language. He also looked at me and said I know you're gonna have contacts for the final show?! And I was jumped to say yes! Because honestly whatever Ms. J wants he can have lol! And I also already previously discussed with my Dad that if I made it to the final show I would go get contacts.  I was estactic and forget him talking about contacts he said final show! I felt like I made it and told my sister and my parents and Perry of course but that would soon be a mistake...

Starting Monday we had 8pm rehearsals and everyday the group got smaller and smaller. Models just got emails saying they were no longer needed and everyone or i should say most people feared that email. During the rehearsals I did attend I actually got annoyed because some  girls really didn't care if they were in the show or not and I felt that was unfair. Confidence in your walk should come from confidence in what you are doing and I felt they should leave and let the people who want to be there and model do it!

 At any rate Sunday I went to Lenscrafters and was told my insurance didn't work (which was odd cause I'm SUPPOSED to be covered by all lenscrafters). So Monday and Tuesday I went to rehearsal without contacts since my appoint wasn't until Tuesday morning. I went to one place to find out its "out-of-network". Finally spoke to an insurance rep and they told me to go back to the Lenscrafters I went to. My friend Jessica took the journey on the city bus to Lenscrafters with me to find out that I am covered and the lady I spoke to on Sunday neglected to double check and sent me home prematurely. I didn't understand what God was doing, why he was postponing my contact experience. At any rate, I had my eye exam and began training for contacts. normally contact training only happens on the weekends but the lady at the desk was tryna work with me because I told her I needed them for the fashion show on Sat. Getting those contacts in were hell! I mean we are training our eyes to NOT defend itself  momentarily so we can poke our own pupils. I got my left contact in but my right one gave me a lot of trouble...the rule is the doctor has to see me in both contacts to be sure they fit alright before i can take them home. He leaves early though so I didn't get to take the contacts home that night. Either way I stayed until I got it in just so I could demonstrate to myself that I could do it. The next morning I returned to Lenscrafters, got both in and had the doctor look at them. It took me 45mins to do so and the doctor approved them for my eyes! Surprisingly I didn't need any training to take them out that was easy for me which is apparently rare. But the way I see it is that its easier to touch my eye knowing that something is protecting it from hurting my pupil. I left there with contacts in my eyes and 3 more daily acuve contact lens since I used up 2 from my 5 day trail pack already.

When I got home with my "new eyeballs", as Ms. J called them, I checked my email and i saw in the from it said Stephanie (the fashion department lady) and the subject said urgent! attn model!: thank you ....   I instantly knew what that email was and I just began saying no no no no no why r u thanking me I'm not done yet! I opened the email to learn that I was cut, eliminated, no longer needed for the show and that my hard work and dedication was well appreciated -________-
I was so upset and instantly txted Perry, Jessica and my other friend Aidan who both did make it to the final show thank God. I didn't cry because i worked too hard to get those contacts in to watch them be washed out of my eyes. I was disappointed and embarrassed to think of my Dad and sisters to tell them SIKE! I didn't make it after all. Models were being cut left to right and nvr showed their faces again. But I didn't want to do that, Ms. J was patient with me and even doubted that I'd get contacts cause I was a first time wearer. But that night Wednesday, I went to the rehearsal after it was over and built up the courage to approach Ms. J and told him what had happened. He was shocked and had no idea I was cut, and I was disappointed to know that he wasn't being told who was being cut. I thought the decision was his...I thought he was the walking coach, I feel that the people in the background were randomly choosing who they wanted in and out. Ms. J said what I mentioned before, out of 89 designers 35 were chosen to be in the final show. If your designer was cut you were cut. All but one of my designers were cut so I should still be in the show. Yet we had girls who made it to the show whose designers were all cut yet they still remained. I don't understand how you have you have us be mannequins and have clothes sewn to fit our bodies yet put another body in it. What if it doesn't fit, or if the garment is damaged there is no time given to the designers to correct that...


As disappointing as the news was I was happy to say it didn't end bad at all. Earlier that week I was hired to belly dance at a beautiful handmade jewelry boutique Zia on Wednesday night so I danced the night away in my contacts. Then I belly danced again for Zia  at the Savannah Fashion Show on Thursday night. I shadow danced with my friend Kim while the models walked with his jewelry. When I knew for sure I would no longer be in the SCAD fashion show I texted Shannon to see if he may want me for the wedding he had on Sat. a wedding I had been looking forward to and would have missed if I WAS in the show. So too bad about the fashion but the wedding was awesome and I may have opened another door of opportunity there too. God's Divine Plan for me is something extraordinary may He grant me patience and order my steps to him.

<----I'm wearing contacts in this picture!!!

Details about the wedding will come later! I gotta get to bed to so I can wake up for church tomorrow.


**BTW I have not worn contacts since the first day(wed.) when I left Lenscrafters with them on. I intend to buy some down the line. and will use my remaining few for super special occassions only.


No comments:

Post a Comment