Saturday, May 19, 2012

JeJu Sauna - Deluth, GA

JeJu Sauna changed my life! lol (click the link <----)
Seriously though. It seems so long ago but I have to reflect on my ATL experiences.

When I went to Atlanta for the hair show that very night we stayed at a 24 hour Korean Spa. To any anime lovers this is your dream location that will take you right into the bath houses you see in your favorite animes!
I won't bother to explain all what it entails that's what the link above is for so you can check them out on your own. I'm blogging about how it changed my life and to share the things you DON'T get from the website. In no way shape or form am I denouncing JeJu's I loved every party of it and I can't wait to go back!

Perry and I came into the Sauna and met up with my Nappy Hutt hair salon friends. At the counter you tell them what size you wear and how many people. You get a plain uniform (shirt and shorts), a toothbrush, razor if you want it, and a locker key that you wear at all times. From there you pay and women walk in toward your left and men went toward your right. My poor baby was left alone since this portion of the sauna was separate sexes, I think he did okay though :)

Past the WOMEN ONLY door there is a narrow hallway where you put your shoes in your designated locker. Then past the hallway there is a larger locker room with sinks and bathrooms. We got a tour of the place as well since it was my first time. In the larger locker room you have another locker that can fit your bags and purse and clothes. On the website it says you don't have to be naked but what they don't tell you is that you must be naked when you shower in the bath house. NOW I understood why the genders were separated for this part. Totally nude you must shower before you can go in the steam rooms or sit in the pools do anything there and this is for sanitary reasons of course. Connected to the large locker room was a huge bath house. 3 mineral water pools (cold, warm, hott). There was standing showers and sit down showering areas where you pulled up a stool sat and washed yourself with the bar soap provided (the only not so great thing about the sauna) and the shower head that detached from the wall. Shawn Waajid and I teased that it felt like we were showering down by the riverside lol.
They also had 2 steam rooms a dry one and a wet one. I didn't go in any of them because it would disturb my hair. They also had a tanning area where you could lay under this UV lamp. There was also a separate area that you would get professional massages and they would just charge your number and you would pay later when you left the sauna. Something extra special they had was a cleansing arrangement of leaves and herbs, and maybe even spices to an extent that they put together right in front of you in a large bowl. They then heat the mixture and place it below a seat. The woman who pays for this takes a seat on a stool like object that has a hole in the center, kinda like a toilet. And you get a cape from your neck down to the bottom of the seat. The steam and minerals from the herb mixture act as a vaginal system cleanser. There is a list on the wall where you can read all the ingredients and all the things it can help cure. Here are the few things I remember: it helps with odors, infections, post-pregnancy and miscarriages(cleans you out the remainders), allergies(if you raise the cape over your nose so you inhale the ingredients as well), cramps, heavy menstrual cycle, and the list continues. There is a separate price for this procedure but all the women get in lines just to have it done and rave about it.

After the shower we dry off with some tiny behind towels they have lol. And you put on your uniform. They do have bathing suits to rent or you can wear your own which is ONLY used for the common area swimming pool that has mineral water instead of chlorine water. That pool is the only time that you can wear a bathing suit. Otherwise you must always have your uniform on when in the common area. The common area has a cafe where you can order food, grab a pillow and sit on the floor by one of the small tables. It also has all the entrances to the pool, game center, and fitness center and of course all of the treated sauna rooms. Each room caters to a different health aspect. Physical issues, mental issues or spiritual ones there is a room for you. Perry really liked the detoxing room, I loved the one that was layered in Gold and silver inside but all those metals made it so hott in there I could never stay in there long. On the website there are deeper explanations to what each room entails but its absolutely fabulous and relaxing. Depending on the sauna you were in you were either enjoying the aroma, breathing steadily, or you were sweating buckets.
After swimming I showered again, then I ate and enjoyed the saunas then showered again! Then we came back out to the sauna and grabbed a bamboo matt and square pillow and my blanket and found a place to lay down and sleep. The place is only $25.00 for a whole 24hours to enjoy. When we woke up I showered again and got dressed for the first day of the hair show feeling relaxed and ready for the world.
______________________________________________________________________________

At first the whole experience was very awkward seeing my friends naked and all these random women naked but over time it became a refreshing experience and a kind of ancient maybe even biblical experience and cultural experience. To be fully naked amongst the other women of the village, showering and relaxing our bodies the way we should. I went from being nervous and awkward to showering more than I ever have in a single day. I really wish I took pictures indoors but it was my first experience and first time being there I honestly chickened out I didn't want to offend anyone by taking pictures. But next time I will :) Every time I am in the Greater Atlanta area I want to spend a night at JeJu's Sauna!



**All sauna images are ones I found online except for the ones of me and my friends of course!

2 comments:

  1. - A touch of Korean tradition in the middle of the city is the perfect getaway. Thanks for sharing this! My girlfriend and I regularly go to our local sauna house to relax. Reading this might change that tradition though. Maybe one of these weekends, I’ll get to experience this traditional Korean sauna.

    Neil Dalby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! I am already planning my next trip to this sauna for next month! Hope you enjoy and share your experience with others :)

    ReplyDelete