Thursday, October 9, 2014

Death Stops at Nothing.

Death waits for no one.
No age
No special moment in time.
I hate the phrase the good die young. It implies you shouldn’t be good to die young. But I know that’s not what it means.
I’m frustrated and emotional and I’m trying to come to terms with things not meant to be understood but accepted. I know better but sometimes I can’t help it.
Em, formally known as Emalee Formica died in a car accident yesterday.
I just learned of the news today while on break working this morning.
Her boyfriend posted the tragic news on our SCAD Lacoste Facebook page.
I met her just this summer in France. We had class together, critiqued each other had some fun moments late nights in the lab it was great. Everyone in Lacoste knows how much of a family we became despite who hung out with who. Everyone meshed for the most part.
Em lived a fulfilling light and I can only say that based on the images she left behind on her Instagram, Facebook, and the art work she shared in class. She came to Lacoste with her boyfriend Adam and I admired their love and relationship. They were that couple that seemed confidently in love. Never overdoing it with PDA but just co-existing with one another. I admired their romantic adventures in the South of France. Hiking in the woods to laying side by side in a hammock under the star lit night skies of Lacoste. And I’ll never forget her story she told in critique where her and Adam almost missed their train in France! They literally ran after the train, Adam jumped in and reached for her hand to pull her aboard! They had so many stories of times well spent and they were on their way to finish art school and move on to what was next.
I can’t even imagine how Adam is feeling. To wake up and be notified that the person you love has passed away. To realize that moments shared will only remain memories.  I pray for his strength and confidence knowing that nothing was ever done in vain and that her spirit will always be there to comfort him.
I only knew her for the 2 and a half months spent in France. And many people reading this never knew her at all. But knowing her doesn’t keep anyone from being touched by who she may represent in someone elses life. I wanna do something and being so far away all I can offer are my words and prayers. I saw myself in Em’s relationship. And I was excited for her future as an artist. Damn was that girl talented! If I had a gallery I would put on a show to commemorate her life well lived and well spent.
Death waits for no one.
Death waits for no special event.
Death will come like a thief in the night.
Nothing in life is certain but death.

Where is your heart today?
Are you proud of the life you’ve lived?
What is any of us really waiting for?
Do what you love and do what you’re good at! And never let anyone tell you different.
Love with all your heart
Live with no regrets
Learn from your mistakes
Embrace them as lessons learned.

I want to impact lives every day.
Perhaps I might save one
One day.
There is so much I want to do in this short life of mine.
Em accomplished so much for her 22 years alive.
And all of her friends can attest to that and hold on tight to her memories shared.
And the photographs taken.
Photos will never let you forget.
A photo can transport you in time
A photo can be your peace and your pain
A reminder and sometimes an aide to move on just the same.

 Photo from France Exhibition found on Emalee's blog. Our art work was hung next to each other for its simplicity and use of line.


No comments:

Post a Comment