Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Barcelona, October 19th, 2014


I went on quite the adventure today in Barcelona!




Last night I made plans to go biking around the city with friends but unfortunately they ran out of bikes. Then I was going to go out with a friend looking to buy supplies but he woke up before me and forgot to call to let me know he was leaving. So I shrugged it off and started my day on my own.
For the past 2 days I have been suffering from sinus congestion because when I went to Cinque Terre last Thursday I got caught walking in the rain. (It was worth it though!) The next day I had a stracchy throat and couldn’t breathe through my nostrils and my throat was puffy on one side. I got straight to all my remedies and took dairy out my daily diet. Then Saturday I jumped off the ship into the saltiness salt water I’ll ever experience and that did my throat and nostrils a great favor! With sleep and consistent nose blowing I woke up this morning breathing through my nose and feeling so much better.
I got dressed, had soup for lunch, and packed my new Italian leather purse with all the essentials needed for Barcelona. I contemplated bringing my camera but since my purse made me hands free I felt I’d be okay. I can’t be nervous going places with my camera I have to be confident and just watch my back.
Luckily I had all morning and afternoon off. So not only did that allow me to sleep off my congestion but I had ample time to finally find Casa Mila in Barcelona. We only have one other trip to this port and then we are off to Miami. And this is the only port that I did not yet collect my postcards and magnets.
Reading my offline map of the city, thanks to Triposo App, I found an easy yet interesting route to take to Casa Mila. I knew that I wouldn’t have time to go in but I at least wanted to see it for myself and see more of Barcelona. I had only explored the town one other time 4 weeks ago with my friend Jon. We went to Segrada Familia and explored the Catalan area of Barcelona. So part of my journey was familiar and other parts were brand new.
So….
I got off the ship. Paid 3 euro for a roundtrip ticket on the T3 Port shuttle bus that takes me to the Ciudat Centre (city Center)
From there I proceed North on Las Ramblas until it ended.
Las Ramblas is a popular market strip with souvenirs, mascots, people dressed up as statues, and plenty shops. I had my eye out for the best magnets and unique keepsakes.
I took a right onto Ronda de la Universitat and then a left onto Passeig de Gracia
Passeig d Gracia is like the jackpot for shopping. But since it was a Sunday everything was closed. Gucci, Guess, Nike, Adidas, Mango, BOSS, H&M, it was packed and I’m sure the place to shop during the week.
As I continued up Passeig de Gracia everything got more familiar. I found the place where Jon and I had ended up after going on a hunt for a bank that no longer existed. I passed Gaudi’s Casa Batllo and then Casa Mila which I passed at first cause of the Scaffolding on the building. I recognized the snow cone like features on the top but didn’t see an entrance and it had a different name on top. But after asking for directions (in Spanish might I add) I found the front door. A lovely young worker there gave me a pamphlet and I asked how long it would take to see everything inside she said about an hour. Right then and there I knew I had to return seeing how I had an hour to get back to the ship before I clocked in. She told me how to buy student tickets online that way when I return I don’t need to stand in line. She was very helpful. I took a photo of the building with my cellphone and kept it moving. Looking at the time I didn’t trust myself making it on foot all the way back seeing that I walked quite the distance from the City Centre. So I found the nearest metro staircase that I remembered taking before and asked directions back to the port. I needed to know what line to take and my stop. A lady in the candy store explained in Spanish and I understood! I always feel so good in Spain cause I get to put my Spanish to real life situations and its nice when it works out in my favor lol.
So I took Line 3 (green) to Drassenes which even had a little ship picture by the stop to tell you its for the port. I got on and off the metro very proud of myself and feeling like I could do this on the regular.
Next Sunday If I have time I’ll get up early to go to Casa Mila. If I have to work embarkation then I’ll have to save it for the next time I get to Barcelona on my own. More than likely I’ll be working since I want to request off the next embarkation in Miami to see my family!
19 more days till Miami!!!


Can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment